Back to the Crew Biographies index page

North Front Cemetery,

Gibraltar

 

 

GIBRALTAR (NORTH FRONT) CEMETERY 

The Gibraltar (North Front) Cemetery (also known as Garrison Cemetery) is located next to the airport on the low peninsula off Devils Tower Road and behind St Teresa's Church.

West of the cemetery, close to the sea, will be found the Gibraltar Memorial which commemorates, by name, 7 soldiers from the 1914-1918 War and 91 airmen and soldiers who died during the 1939-45 War who were buried at sea. 
The cemetery was used throughout the 1914-1918 War for the burial of sailors and soldiers who died on ships passing Gibraltar, or in the Military Hospital.

The 1914-1918 War Graves are scattered in the different divisions of the cemetery. After that war, a Cross of Sacrifice was erected to the West of the cemetery, close to the sea, at the junction of the road into Spain and the Devil's Tower Road.

Twenty-three burials belong to H.M.S. "Britannia," sunk by a submarine off Cape Trafalgar on the 9th November, 1918. There are also many graves of merchant sailors who died during the war from natural causes.

The majority of the men who lost their lives while at Gibraltar during the 1939-1945 War are buried here. Most of their graves are in two adjacent plots at the northern end of the cemetery, but some are also scattered in other parts.

The cemetery is situated on Crown land, and (with the exception of those privately owned) all the War Graves in it are registered in perpetuity in the Commission's name. 

One man from HMS Repulse is known to be buried in North Front Cemetery.

(Our HMS Repulse was in service from 1916 to 1941)

Able Seaman Walter Wykes

Who died in Gibraltar Military Hospital, 21st March, 1937

Click here to view his memorial page

 

Please contact Andy (webmaster) with any information.

Andy Wade (Webmaster)

Information provided by
Tony Rees

Chris White

Alfred Ryan - Superintendent of Cemeteries, Gibraltar